Manuel Àlvarez was born in Sant Feliu de Codines (Barcelona) on August 6 1945. In 1963 he was admitted to the Los Salesianos Vocational Schools in Sarrià for clay modelling and sculpture workshop studies. From 1968 to 1971 he focused on various activities in connection with statue making, religious images, relief work, busts, and ornamental carving. He also worked professionally in interior and industrial design, leading major projects. His first solo exhibition as a sculptor was in 1971. In 1975 he travelled to Carrara Italy on a scholarship from Fundazione Pagani. There, with his first contact with marble he experienced a rapid evolution in his work through the gradual discovery of marble.

Manuel Àlvarez has exhibited in various countries throughout the world and has received commissions for public monuments not only in his native country Spain but in France, Italy, Germany, Brazil and the United States. In 1996 he was commissioned two sculptures in conjunction with the International Olympic Games in Atlanta. Dance of Peace is located in the Fulton County Judicial Center, Atlanta and Covering Spaces at the University of Georgia in Athens. Manuels work has also been selected by organizations including Ford Motor Company, CNN, Nestle, Uriach Laboratories, Salvat Laboratories, Al Campo, Roche Diagnostics, Bassat-Ogilvy and Mather, as well as the Royal House of Spain. After completing a collection inspired in Africa he is currently developing a series based on the Old Testament.